Thursday, March 24

Thirsty Thursday #3


Thirsty Thursday is my own recurring meme whereupon I lift a glass (metaphorically speaking) to celebrate the triumphs I have experienced in the last seven days. They can be big, they can be small, but there has to be something because I believe life is all about looking at the positive. It's simply too short and too unpredictable to focus on the negative. So with that in mind, here is why I'm raising a glass today:

1. I got my final grades back from the two courses I was taking during the first term of the year, and the results are two As and a continuing 4.0 average. I'm very proud of this, not only because of how hard it is to maintain that average, but because with one of my courses, Composition II, I never felt as if I had a firm grasp on what I was doing or where I was going. Even after I handed in the final. I need not have worried though, and my professor was impressed enough that he told me I should forward the project to my congressional representative.

2. One set of classes ends, one set begins. I started my new term last night and got to interact with my Small Business Management professor for a bit. Not only does he have the second greatest last name in the world, Fail (he's also a doctor, so he's Dr. Fail), but he's very approachable and he understands completely why it's necessary for an artist such as myself to have something of a grasp on what it takes to run a successful business. Writing is only half the work, and not understand what is necessary to carry out the other half is why so many artists fail. I'm seriously looking forward to working with him over the next 10 weeks.

3. I finished off Chapter Eight and Nine. I'm still behind, and I'm beginning to think I will be until I hit my vacation next month, but that's okay. I'm still on track to complete the first draft of Book Two by the end of April, and that's the important thing.

4. And, to tie into #3, I've now written at least 500 words a day for the past two weeks. That's huge. I've never had a stretch where I've written consistently as long as that, not even during the one NaNo I completed back in 2003.

And that's about it. I'm sure I'm leaving one or two items off the list (and likely always will since my mind is like swiss cheese at times), but they are all reasons to look at this past week and say, "Good job!"

So what are your reasons to raise a glass?

No comments:

Post a Comment