Wednesday, February 16

Wednesday Musings

Saw Tron: Legacy last night. I thought it was pretty good, and the more I think about it, the more I like it. I don't think it's Oscar material, and I don't think it's anything more than escapism, but it was worth the time and was a good date night movie for the wife and I. I've read the complaints about how nothing really happens or that there isn't very much plot, and I say that the first was almost exactly the same way. The only reason the first gets a pass on this is because it was original and fresh and it was 1982 when it came out. It was also a self contained story whereas Legacy is blatantly one of at least two films. So obviously anything made in 1982 isn't going to be original and fresh in 2010, and we've become numb to special effects and pretty pictures so the visual style isn't anything new either, and a lot of people are turned off by anything that is so blatant in terms of creating a series. It doesn't take away from the experience for me though, and Legacy just might end up being a future collection buy.

I've been saying that February was going to be a good month for me, and that has so far remained true. I won't get into how certain things have gone, since they're personal in nature, but it has been a huge month of growth for me in terms of the number of people who have seen and read Spiral X and have genuinely enjoyed it in the process. One of the worst things an author can feel is ambivalence towards their writing, the question of whether or not it's worth the monumental effort it takes to put a book together. Every time I see a comment that asks whether a second book is coming, or how they don't normally take to that particular genre and that it didn't matter in this case, or just people I know saying they didn't know how good a writer I was, it gives me fuel. Incentive to make it through the blocks, the slow downs, the questions so that I can provide a compelling tale that almost everyone can read and feel like they got good use of their time. Every author needs validation, and February has been a good month for that.

At any rate, that's actually about it for today. I'll see you guys later, and may the day see you well.

No comments:

Post a Comment